Download this News Release as a PDF.
TORONTO, January 19, 2007 — The Canadian Mining Hall of Fame will induct four new members at its 19 PthP annual induction ceremony, to be held on the evening of Thursday, January 18, 2007, at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel, Toronto. The new inductees will bring the total number of members in the Hall of Fame to 131 since the Hall was established in 1988.
The 2007 inductees are:
George B. Cross: Born in 1932, George B. Cross chronicled and supported the Canadian mining industry through the George Cross News Letter Ltd., an authoritative and respected source of daily mining news that served the resource and investment communities for more than 50 years. Launched in 1947, the Vancouver-based publication reported on the activities of mining and exploration companies listed on the Vancouver Stock Exchange (now the TSX Venture Exchange). It was issued five days a week until December 2000, for a total of 13,388 issues.
Alfred E. Miller (1880-1983): Prospector Alfred Miller discovered copper-bearing boulders in a remote part of Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula in 1909. With his brothers he returned to the area in 1921 to locate the source of the mineralization and stake claims. For years investors showed little interest but in 1937 the discovery attracted the attention of Noranda Mines. Noranda made other discoveries and in the 1950s established Gaspe Copper Mines, a major mining and metallurgical complex that brought 50 years of prosperity and thousands of needed jobs to the Gaspé Peninsula.
R. G. K. Morrison (1899-1983): Professor of mining engineering at McGill University, R. G. K. Morrison is known as the founding father of Canadian rock mechanics, for his pioneering work in introducing rock mechanics and ground control as essential components of the design and safe operation of underground mines. At McGill, he inspired a generation of students, fought to save engineering programs from cutbacks and wrote the first textbook on ground control.
Harry L. Roscoe (1885-1963): Harry L. (“Bill”) Roscoe, known as Bill to his friends, helped transform Noranda Mines from a fledgling company with a struggling mine in northwest Quebec into one of the world’s leading natural resource enterprises. He joined the company as a young engineer in 1926 and was soon put in charge of the development work at the new Horne Mine that led to the discoveries that put the operation on the map. Ultimately he became Noranda’s top technical person, contributing greatly to the unprecedented growth of the company in the 1940s and 1950s.